2.02.2008

how to do a sick day in style

I don’t know about you, but it seems like everyone in my life is sick at the moment – which probably explains why I’ve recently become the latest casualty of cold season. After taking my much-needed sick weekend (one day of rest just wasn’t enough), I came up with a few tricks to make the whole de-germing process a bit more bearable.

First of all, replace your “sick day” with a “spa day”. I love vegging out on the couch in a face mask like this one by
Pangea Organics ($34, www.pangeaorganics.com), which contains Japanese Matcha Tea and Acai to cleanse and tone the skin. By steaming your face over a bowl of boiling water before applying the mask, you’ll open up pores and blocked-up nasal passages.

Whenever you need a little pick-me-up throughout the day, spritz on Aveda Caribbean Therapy Flower Water ($24, www.aveda.com), a fresh-smelling spray that tones and lightly moisturizes skin. (Make it extra-refreshing by keeping the bottle in the fridge – great when you’re feeling feverish).

To add to the spa-like atmosphere and help replenish much-needed fluids, sip green tea or try this version of “spa water”: fill a pitcher of regular water with crushed ice and any combination of cucumber slices, lemon slices, sprigs of fresh mint, and chopped cranberries or strawberries.

Having a hot shower is a great way to relax the achy muscles that accompany colds. I love using products infused with mint, like the amazing
Lemon/Mint body scrub from Sabon ($30, www.sabonnyc.com), to help clear out my sinuses. After toweling off, massage in a rich body lotion infused with a few drops of peppermint essential oil, available at The Body Shop ($12, www.thebodyshop.com) – I like to think of it as the beauty equivalent of Vicks’ Vapo-Rub.

No comments: